Friday, August 27, 2010

Basil Ice Cream

When I first stumbled across this recipe, my first reaction was "BASIL ice cream!?! That sounds awful!" I was used to seeing ice cream recipes with caramel and brownie chunks swirled in, but basil was something I never would have thought of using in ice cream. However, I had made countless recipes from the site I found this recipe on, and the author thought so highly of it that she said it is actally her favorite ice cream. So, I had to give it a go.

The verdict? It is SO YUMMY! There is something subtly fresh about it, and maybe that's what makes it so delectable. It somehow tastes like summer, and makes you have a happy feeling while enjoying it.

I actually added 1/2 tsp of vanilla to my batch, but I think it might have slightly taken away from the basil flavor. Next time I make it, and I do plan on making it again, I may leave the recipe as is, and leave off the vanilla. However, it was delicious with it in there : )

Basil Ice Cream

Adapted from 17 and Baking
Makes 3 cups

2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup sugar, divided (or honey sucanat)
1/4 cup fresh chopped basil
pinch of salt
4 large egg yolks
1/2 cup chilled whipping cream

Combine milk, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, and basil in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to steep, half covered with lid, for 30 minutes. Pour into blender and whir until basil is ground up. (Keep the saucepan, you will use it again later in recipe.)

Beat egg yolks and sugar with an electric mixer until thick and pale (about 1 minute). In a steady stream, pour milk mixture into egg mixture. Beat until thoroughly combined. Transfer mixture back into saucepan. Using a wooden spoon, cook on medium, stirring constantly until the custard coats the back of a spoon. (It should reach 175ºF.) Strain and chill until cold, stirring often.

Once chilled , stir in whipping cream. Churn in ice cream maker. Freeze leftovers in airtight container. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment