Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Strawberry Crisp

I LOVE fruit. Some days I would rather have a bowl of fresh, seasonal, aromatic fruit then a slice of chocolate cake (and if you know me, you know I love chocolate). Therefore, I'm sure it comes as no surprise that I also LOVE fruit desserts.Growing up, I don't think I ever had a strawberry crisp. We would have strawberry pie (yum!) but never a baked strawberry dessert like this (which is best eaten warm : ) at least, in my opinion). Thats okay, I've made up for it in recent years!

I love this recipe because it is relatively quick and easy, but still has great flavor combinations. Buttery yet somehow fresh, creamy yet also crisp...mmmm!
(The original recipe uses a yellow cake mix. However, having written off cake mixes long ago, I tweaked the recipe to make a homemade "cake mix" type crumble topping).

So, without further ado, here is the recipe (which can easily be doubled - just bake in a 13 X 9 pan).

Strawberry Crisp

Adapted from p. 364 of The Cake Mix Doctor
Serves 8-10

Make topping:

1 cup all-purpose flour (or 5 oz Soft White wheat flour)
3/4 cup sugar (or honey sucanat)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients. Stir till mixed. Add melted butter. Work it in until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

Assemble the crisp:

1 (8 oz) bag frozen strawberries, or 3 cups fresh whole strawberries, washed, dried, and hulled
1/4 cup butter, chilled, cut into small cubes
Whipped cream or ice cream for serving (optional)

Preheat oven to 350ยบ. Place strawberries in the bottom of an ungreased 8 X 8 baking dish. Sprinkle topping evenly over berries. Scatter butter pieces over topping (feel free to use more butter if you think it needs it).

Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until golden brown and fruit is bubbly, (bake time will vary depending on temperature of strawberries).

Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving. Top with whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment