Monday, November 15, 2010

Pumpkin Soufflé

Ahhh...my first time baking with pumpkin this fall. I thought it might be nice to try a recipe I had never made before. How about a type of dessert I had never made before? Soufflé it is!

I was actually surprised by how quick the recipe came together. I wasn't sure exactly what to expect upon taking the first bite (how could I have never eaten soufflé before?). It was warm and fluffy, but only slightly sweet. I thought it was yummy, and tasted like a fluffy pumpkin pie. That being said, you want to know a secret? I preferred it much more cold.
I know, I know, what makes a soufflé, a soufflé is taking the high-rise out of the oven and serving immediately, but I really did prefer this one refrigerated. I'm curious to try a chocolate soufflé, maybe I will prefer that one warm? We'll see!
Pumpkin Soufflé
Adapted from this recipe
Makes 4-6 large servings

Sugar for dish
6 egg whites, room temperature
3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar (or honey sucanat)
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice

Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease four 8-oz soufflé ramekins, or one 1 1/2 - 2 quart casserole dish. (Note: if using casserole dish, decrease oven temperature to 350ºF). Coat dish(es) evenly with sugar, shaking out the excess. Arrange souffle dish(es) in 13x9 baking pan. Set aside

In the bowl of an electric mixer, using whisk attachment, on high speed, whip egg whites with cream of tarter until foamy. Add sugar, two tablespoons at a time, while beating constantly. Beat until sugar is dissolved and mixture reaches soft peaks (about 3-4 minutes).

In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks on high until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in the pumpkin and pie spice. Gently fold yolk mixture into whipped egg whites. Continue folding until there are no more white streaks. Distribute mixture evenly into soufflé dish(es).

Place 13x9 pan containing soufflé dish(es) on middle rack of oven. Pour very hot water into 13x9 pan, crating a water bath, to within 1/2 inch of the top of the dish(es). Bake soufflé until puffy and delicately browned (about 15-20 minutes in ramekins, or 30-35 minutes in casserole dish). Serve immediately, or refrigerate and serve cold. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment