Saturday, October 2, 2010

Easy Crepes

I always thought that crepes would be impossibly difficult to make. I had never even had crepes other than once at my neighbor's house. However, despite my apprehensions, I took the plunge. I made crepes.

Let me just tell you - If you have every been worried about the skill level needed to make delicious crepes, fear no longer. I was pleasantly surprised by the ease of making them. Granted, the first one or two may not be the prettiest thing, but once you get the hang of it, it will look like you've been making them for years. Plus, they are SO YUMMY!

Easy Crepes
Adapted from Epicurious
Makes about 10 large crepes

1 1/2 cups whole milk, room temperature
1 cup all purpose flour

3 large eggs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon sugar (or honey sucanat)
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth. Strain batter to remove any lumps. Cover and chill 15 minutes, (or up to 1 day).

Oil crepe pan (or I use an iron skillet), and heat over medium. Once pan is heated, pour about 1/4 cup of batter into pan. Swirl so that it coats the bottom. Cook until the crepe edges are light brown (about 1 minute). Loosen with spatula, and carefully turn crepe over. Cook about 30 seconds, or until the bottom begins to brown in spots. Transfer crepe to a plate, and cover with paper towel (or I use wax paper cut into about 5 inch squares). Oiling the pan as needed, repeat with the rest of the batter, covering each crepe. (Cooked crepes can be made the day before and kept in the refrigerator (covered).

Fill crepes with desired items, such as fruit, pudding, whipped cream, preserves, chocolate syrup, candies, or whatever else sounds delicious. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment